Thursday, June 7, 2007

My Day Off


Well, the snow wasn't as bad as predicted. I had about an inch or so piled on my car this morning, but the roads were good. There was crime scene tape stretched along the parking lot at the restaurant/ employee dining room this morning. Turns out, the grizzly bear came in last night and killed a baby elk in the woods. The mother bear and her cubs were in there this morning, but I didn't get to see them. I did see the upset mother elk. Very sad.

I got out into the park this morning, traveling up to Canyon, then across the center of the park to Norris, turning south to Old Faithful and then ultimately back to Grant Village. In short, I just toured the lower loop. Once again, examples of brainless tourists filled the roadways, with the dumbest of the dumb approaching bison--these people were no more than 10 feet away. And when I very nicely asked them (from my car) to please move away, they ignored me! I didn't know whether I should just leave them to their fate or stop to take photographs so the rangers would have something to help these morons' kids identify the bodies. I left them there. Maybe they survived.

How cute is this little guy? My first baby elk of the season! Unfortunately, it lives in the danger zone of Grant Village. Fingers crossed that this little baby makes it.

No comments: