Monday, May 21, 2007

North America's Serengeti

Yeah, yeah.... I'm way behind in my posts already. I have to blame that on the inconvenience of internet access during training. I'm now settled into my room at Grant Village, and I have wireless access in my room. So now I can catch up.

Last week, Wednesday, May 16th, was my day off. I took off for the day with my camera and a friend from training, and we headed over to the Lamar Valley which is located along the park's northeast entrance road. This is probably the best place to see wolves. And guess what? We saw some.

We were lucky enough to see from a very long distance a grizzly bear trying to chase a black wolf away from a carcass the bear had on a sand bar. They ran all over the sand bar, or rather the bear ran, the wolf just trotted a short way out of reach of the bear, and while they ran, a coyote came in and got his fair share of the food.

We saw wolves close to the road no more than a mile or so away from the grizzly/wolf kill site. The gray alpha male had an elk carcass in the river that he kept coming in to feed on. There were two black wolves that refused to cross the road--the ranger identified them as yearling females from the gray's pack, but I never did find out which pack they all belonged to.

Grizzly bear number two appeared at Elk Creek--big, beautiful bear. He was wandering through the dead trees looking for good logs to use to scratch his back.

Lots of bison, lots of baby bison, but still no baby bears. Starting to get a little bummed about that.

Today was a trip through the Tetons into Jackson, WY. A very nice girls' trip into town on our day off. We're all glad we moved down yesterday afternoon instead of waiting until today. We saw two moose on our way back. Yay! They DO exist!

No comments: